A 15-year-old girl Amanda Todd commited suicide on Wednesday Oct. 10th in Port Coquitlam. Before she died, she was seriously bullied for years both in her real life and online. There was another girl called Jenna Bowers-Bryanton, also was 15 years old last year, commited suicide in January, 2011 in Truro, NS becasue of bullying.
Amanda posted a video on YouTube a month before she died to talk about her tragedy. The video was long becasue she didn’t talk or show her face, she just used paper and writing to tell her story. I copied every down here for you to read easier.
- I’ve decided to tell you about my never ending sotyr
- In 7th grade I would go with firends on webcram meet and talk to new people.
- Then got called stunning, beautiful, perfect, etc.
- Then wanted me to flash….
- So I did…1 year later….
- I got a MSG on Facebook from him…Don’t know how he knew me. It said… if you don’t put on a show for me I will send ur boobs.
- He knew my address, school, relatives, friends, family names.
- Christmas break, knock at my door at 4am. It was the police…my photo was sent to evryone. I then got really sick and got anxiety, major depression and panic disorder.
- I then moved and got into drugs and alcohol. My anxiety got worse…couldn’t go out.
- A year past and the guy came back with my new list of friends and school, but made a Facebook page. My boobs were his profile pic…
- Cried every night, lost all my friends and respect people had for me again. Then nobody liked me.
- Name calling, judged..I can never get that photo back. It’s out there forever. I started cutting. I promised myself never again.
- Didn’t have any firends and I sat at lunch alone. So I moved schools again. Everything was better even though I sat still alone at lunch in the library everyday. After a month later I started to talking to an old guy friend. We back and forth texted and he started to say he liked me, led me on. He had a girlfriend.
- Then he said come over my gf’s on vacation. So I did huge mistake. He hooked up with me. I thought he liked me. 1 week later I get a text get out of your school. His grilfriend and 15 others came including himself. The girl and 2 others just said look around nobody likes you in front of my new school (50) people.
- A guy then yelled just punch her already, so she did. She threw me to the ground and punched me several times. Kids filmed it. I was all alone and left on the ground. I felt like a joke in this world. I thought nobody deserves this. I was along. I lied and said it was my fault and my idea.
- I didn’t want him getting hurt, I thought he really liked me, but he just wanted the sex. Someone yelled punch her already. Teachers ran over but I just went and layed in a ditch and my dad found me.
- I wanted to die so bad. When he brought me home I drank bleach. It killed me inside and I thought I was gonna actually die. Ambulence came and brought me to the hospital and flushed me. After I got home all I saw was on Facebook. “She deserved it. Did you wash the mud out of your hair? I hope she’s dead.” Nobody cared… I moved away to another city wity my mom and another school. I didn’t wanna press charges becasue I wanted to move on.
- 6 months has gone by. People are posting pictures of bleach, clorex and ditches tagging me. I was doing a lot better too. They said she should try a different bleach. I hope she dies this time and isn’t so stupid. They said I hope she sees this and kills herself.
- Why do I get this? I messed up but why follow me. I left your guys city. I’m constantly crying now. Everyday I think why am I still here? My anxiety is horrible now. Never went out this summer. All from my past life never getting better. Can’t go to school, meet or be with people. Constantly cutting. I’m really depressed.
- I’m on anti-deppresants now and councelling and a month ago this summer, I overdosed in hospital for 2 days. I’m stuck what’s left of me now. Nothing stops. I have nobody, I need someone. My name is Amanda Todd.
Above are all her message in her almost 9 minutes video. On YouTube, this video has 2,620,596 views and 18,480 likes. Her story brings our attention that bullying is a lot different now than in the past. Now with social media, what’s out there is always there and so many people will see it. So it’s like if you have done something bad, there’s no way out. There should be solutions and education on the bullying problem.
I would start this blog by saying that I’m really not a creative person. I guess my right brain has not developed yet. Everytime I have to write a paper, I struggle with what topic I’m going to pick, not to mention other creative tasks. So I always admire and am amazed by how people could be so creative. With smart phones, there are so many creative apps that bring us so much fun. Here is one.
The app this video is talking about is called digital dudz. It can help you to make a perfect costume for Halloween and also cost less. Halloween is approching and I think it is probably one of the most fun holidays. Becasue people can dress up like anything they want and kids are trick or treating. I never have the gut to go to a Halloween party yet becasue I’m really scared of ghosts. I freak out when I see someone dress like a ghost. Even though thesedays people are all about sexy and fun with Halloween costumes, but there are still people dress like phosts. I really want to try sometime.
The app is perfect for someone who wants to have fun and be creative and don’t want to spend too much money on the contumes. You just need to buy a t-shirt with your favorite character and cut its eyes out and attach your smart phone on to it instead and the eyes are moving. I went on their website, the t-shirt is $23 dollor each and if you buy two or more you get free shipping. There are more than 20 characters. They even have Obama and Romey t-shirt since the eletion is coming up.
The video has 849,190 views, in which 4,642 likes and 153 dislikes. I didn’t find how many they have already sold but I think there should be more characters and I believe they’re working on it.
Ever since social media plays big in our lives, it really helps a lot of people out on getting to know people, advertising, expanding businesses and so on. However, with the openness nature of social networking sites, we really need to be careful what we say on those sites. Becasue you never know who will find out about it and what the consequences will be. There are already many examples of people who got fired over social media posts and here is one more.
In June, a Chicago area BMW car dealdership saler Robert Becker was fired over his two Facebook postings. First he made fun with his employer by exposing that during an “Ultimate Driving” event at the dealership, clients received only cookies and chips and an “overcooked wiener and stale bun”. The other one was that he posted an incident happened in Land Rover dealdership which is next door and owned by the same company, with pictures. It was that they put a 13-year-old kid in the driving seat, who accidentally hit the gas pedal and drive the car into a pond.
Sep 29th, a National Labor Relations Board administrative law judge made the final decision that the company did not wrongfully fired Becker. He said that the hotdog post was protected while the incident post was unprotected. “It was posted by Becker, apparently, as a lark, without any discussion with any other employee of the respondent, and had no connection to any of the employee’s terms and conditions of employment,” Biblowitz said. He also concluded that sections of the firm’s employee handbook were overly broad, although they have since been rescinded. He ordered a notice be posted at the dealership informing employees of their right to engage in protected concerted activity.
This example tells us that in the social media era now, not only employees should be careful what kinds things we can say on social media and what kind of things we should have a second thought of, but also the employers should make specific terms and conditions for employees to follow. That way nobody will be hurt. I think it is sad for employees to be fired for their social media postings, especially now, everybody can see what happens over social media. It might be hard for the person to find a job again. We should really be careful.
Here is the full article.
Last Friday, Apple CEO Tim Cook apologized for Apple not doing the best jobs with their map on iPhone 5 or iOS 6 system. I went to Tim Cook’s Facebook page and found the original letter which I have attached here. I have upgraded my system to iOS 6 already but I haven’t tested out the map so much yet. So I can’t say whether the map is good for me or not. I do have some friends who won’t upgrade their iPhone 4 or 4S becasue they don’t want to lose Google map.
I reviewed all the comments under Tim Cook’s letter. The majority of the people who left comments there are appreciated that the CEO will come out like this to address their customers. Many people think that Apple does make world class products and also believe in it to improve the map.
Apple as one of the world’s biggest and most successful company, their apology really means a lot to their customers. I like Apple a lot. To be able to work for companies like Apple as a public realtions person is my life long dream. So I‘m all supportive. I think as big as Apple, the CEO can post an apology letter on his own Facebook page is really big. It shows that they care a lot about their customers. They also take advantage of social media sites to dissenminate information. I’m actually a little surprised that there are not so many people liked and commented on his letter. There are only 108 likes and 29 comments. I think what Apple is doing is the kind of things big companies do to keep them being great and having high reputation. I believe Apple will do whatever it takes to make their products the best.
I’ve learned a new word today when I’m reading some social media news. It is “baby boomers”. Baby boomers is the group of people who was born betwwen year 1946-1964. This age range is pretty much our generation’s parents. They are the generation who has been considered hard-working, motivative and competitive. But they are not passionate about social media. Social media is generally considered as something yong people love to use. I’m not saying that there are no baby boomers using social networking sites. In fact, some of them use those sites very well. But the majority people who are using social media sites are our generation.
As a matter of fact, social media can be a good friend for the baby boomers. First of all, they can be up-to-date of what’s new in their lives. We have a old saying in China that live to old, learn to old. So the baby boomers should always learn the new things. It will make their lives more fun and more fashion. It can also help some of them who is still working, to expand their business using soical media sites. Secondly, it is a good way to be involve with what’s their offsprings are doing. If they want to track down on their children, they should get a Facebook account or a Twitter account. Thirdly, it will make their lives easier. Just like what soical media is doing for us, it can work for them, too. They can find a lot of good stuff on social media sites such as coupons and deals. They can also read variety news anytime they want.
Social media might not be good for everybody. Some people just don’t want to try them. However, if you try, it will bring you suprises. I think the baby boomers should really start using social media. Our generation will learn even more when they join us. We will see different things through their different views and experiences. They can learn from the young generations, too. I think social meida can totally help us to reduce the generation gaps.
This is a VERY popular video recently. The song in the video is called Gangnam Style along with the dance. It is created by a Korean artist PSV. The song was released on July 15th this year. His dancing is like a horse running and it is somehow very very influencing. I even heard the song on the radio FM star 102.1 the other day. I personally don’t like the song. But there are so many people are crazy about it. The video is on Youtube and I believe it is everywhere. On Youtube, there are 3,050,215 people vote like it with 306,731,941 views.
Social media is so powerful thesedays. I think everyone can be a star nowadays if you have enough potential to influene people. The information travels so fast through social media sites and internationally. There are plenty of other video related to the song. The marching bands of Oregon University, Ohio University and many others use the song in the opening of football games. So many people are learning the dance. Other Korean artists say they are so pround of the guy. He also perfomed in New York.
I am taking a Journalism class this semester, and I’ve got the Associate Press Stylebook, where I find a section talks about social media guidelines. I think it should be useful if anyone ever needs to write some news stories based on social media sources.
The general rule of vetting sources should be the same as any other ways. But there are other challenges because it is a lot times hard to verify the identity of the sources on social media sites.
Most social networking sites offer a way to send messages to users, so we can get direct contact with the user who provide the source through email or phone, to get more detailed information about the the source. Never just quote somebody or share a photo or video based on where we first see them. Always find the original sources. If a source comes from a company, organization or goverment agency, always confirm identity by calling the place. If the source provides central factual information to the news story, we should find additional sources as confirmation.
If we want to use photos, videos and other media sources, we need to verify the authentication. In addition, we need to determine who owns the copyright and get permission from that person or organization.
We should be very careful when we find that the social networking page belongs to somebody who is essential to the news story, especially when we haven’t confirmed with the person. Make sure the page is not a fraud by somebody else.
Finally, there is one thing social media should not be used. I quote “social networks should never be used as a reporting shortcut when another method, like picking up a phone or knocking on a door, would yield more reliable or comprehensive information.
Source: Associate Press Stylebook, P. 312